Sunday, January 18, 2015

2 Hazel

Hazel got the memo that she is not my leach... Well during the day that is. At night she still worms her way into my bed at about three am. It doesn't dissuade her to navigate a flight of stairs and my closed bedroom door. In she comes to turn my bed into a wrestling mat. By day she has become independent and a tyrant by turns. 
It's a lazy Friday night and Hazel marches into the living room with kiddie scissors and announces that she will now cut her hair. I counter that we do not cut our own hair, Jenny Thompson does. She hunches her shoulders forward, juts her chin out and says "no, last year the monsters cut the friends hair." Jody backs me up and tells her not to cut her hair and go put the scissors away. She stands stubbornly right in front of me continuing to explain about the monsters which means nothing to me so I bury my nose back in my book. Suddenly Edens voice rings across the room "HAZEL WHAT ARE YOU DOING?" I lift my chin and a clump of Hazels hair is missing. Jody yells, she crumples and runs to her bedroom. We see her come back out with her new canvas laundry hamper over her. She blindly walks for the stairs and plunges head first down them. We hear a muffled howl as the hamper slowly slides down the stairs. At the landing she turns and continues down in a more sedate fashion finally placing herself conspicuously in the middle of the house. 
Yes that's her tule skirt peeping out. 

It was the same day she darted into the parking lot at Target while I got my purse out of the car and independently left Ulta to go find Jody at Old Navy in direct disobedience to me only to be cornered outside by an Ulta employee while radioing the store to locate me. 
Last night she traced a triangle around my nose and told me it wasn't a cheek and it wasn't a nose, it was my trink. She then went to each family member showing them their trinks. She pinched her thigh and told me it was something I forgot but I wish I could remember. 
One day she marched up to me and said. "Mom, you are dirty, you need a bath." I looked at her skeptically and asked if this was a ploy to get me away from the pizza dough do she could steal it. Her eyes twinkled and darted to the side but she tried to maintain her assertive demeanor and simply said yes in a firm voice.
Last night we heard a familiar Hazel howl. There she was with her head stuck in the spindles on the stairs. I know I'm rotten to take pics but she will need proof for when she's a mom and remembers being "perfect."
Yes she still has a climbing problem. I bust her regularly and yes she still considers the knife drawer her tool box.

No comments: