Thursday, September 15, 2011

Some funny stuff to remember

A few days ago, Kait came home from school. She was so excited I thought she would burst. Here's how it went down. "Mom, I have something to tell you that you are probably going to hear about... well actually you probably won't hear about it but I'm going to tell you! Ms. Baxter told me that my handwriting was the best she had ever seen me do and told me to move my clip up. I did two more good things and got to move my clip two more times and I got a BAXTER BUCK!" Kait has handwriting like, well, it's like a four year olds. It's wobbly and large and wandering. I had to write a note to Ms. Baxter thanking her for the positive reinforcement. It seems to take very little to motivate Kait.
The same day, Eden came home with her spelling test results and was proud to show me that she had only missed one thing on her spelling test. I am so pleased with the way she is grasping math, reading voraciously and throwing herself into school with gusto this fall.
Nick was wearing shorts that swim on him yesterday and he would grab the back of them and pull them up. He did this all day and finally at the end of the day he started chuckling to himself and said "Hey Mom, this is kinda funny, when I pull my shorts up like this, I open my mouth like this." He reached behind and pulled his shorts up and stuck his chin out in front of him and dropped his mouth open. It was so funny to me that he realized he must look very funny doing this. I told Jody about it and Eden was there listening and she got a full on belly laugh out of the story. I love the way Eden gets such mirth out of Nick's antics.
The other morning the girls were having their cereal before school and I said "I can't wait for this baby to come out, so we can put that little outfit you got with the little green leaves on it with the little hat and take a first picture." They both agreed that it was going to be wonderful. I said "and it would be funny to just send out a pic to everyone that says, "Welcome Baby Allen" without identifying to people whether it's a boy or a girl. They lit up like Christmas at that idea. Talking about how long they could torture people by withholding that information.
Poor Nick has been the volunteer of the week at Flagstaff this week. He sat in the work room with me while I made about 700 die cuts for the first grade class just twiddling his thumbs and imagining things. After a long silence he would say something like "Mom, wouldn't it be cool if the road was gold, and the school was gold and all of the cars were gold." A little later... "Mom, some people are BIG! Some people are so big... I bet if a person ate and ate and ate, they would get REALLY BIG, like a GIANT!"
And finally, Nick's favorite word appears to be "allergic". Last night he was pretending with Kait and I heard him repeating to her in condescending tones that he is "allergic to carpet." A little bit ago I heard him talking to an imaginary friend saying "I'm allergic to yellow."

No comments: