Monday, September 5, 2011

I read a fairy book today

Nick asked me to read one of Eden's fairy books the other day and it was a real struggle. When a four year old has the attention span to listen to a 75 page book of drivel, you really do have to go ahead and read the whole thing because of the crestfallen expression if you don't. I tried to quit. I finally realized towards the end that half of the battled was me trying to sink back into the couch with the baby compressing my lungs making me feel like I was gasping for air as I read. We went on to read "Oh the Places You'll Go" which was fine because I crouched in front of the couch and I like that book. After that I was done but Nick had arranged 5 more books on the couch in what I suppose he fancied as a compelling display. We read all day it seems. Then Kait and Eden come home. Thank God Eden is reading books to herself but I have to read with Kait for a minimum of 25 minutes and go over all of her sight words two or three times and try to keep track of the weekly homework and monthly homework assignments for both of them. It seems like it would be more fun if I were able to read books about birth or novels by Francine Rivers to the kids instead of the 6,348th reading of "Green Eggs and Ham". I shouldn't really say that stuff should I? Scratch all of that, nothing fulfills me more than reading to my children, reading and reading and reading.
We are in the middle of a perfect family holiday weekend. We have done home projects, let the kids have sleepovers, played clue, roasted marshmallows, scored free tickets to the Rockies game and still plan to squeeze in a bit more! Jody took an extra day off of work and I think he's going to take the girls to school early Tuesday so they can all go to breakfast then spend the morning with Nick and me, then hang with Nick all afternoon while I fulfill school obligations then hit the Valmont Bike Park as a family when the girls get home from school. I wish that were a typical Tuesday for us. It has been the most relaxing, happy weekend in the world. I must go eat my grilled brat.

No comments: