Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Olive My Love

If you have children and haven't read them that book, you must. I just love that book.
I guess I'm kind of a hopeless romantic and I'm sure it comes from my Dad's side of the family. Apparently Granny was wooed by Poppy in the most outlandish way but I can't possibly retell the story because I'd mess up the details. Something to do with him coming to her place of work every day and sitting like an Indian until she agreed to go out with him. By the same token my dad told my mom to either change her phone number or to tell him to go fly a kite and that was his proposal. I remember him singing her the song he had written for her and loving the romantic qualities in him. So, it only makes sense that I spent my entire childhood and teenage years concocting the most elaborate scenarios in my head of how I would meet the man I'd fall in love with and what a hopeless romantic he would be. Instead I got the most classic beginnings of all. I sat at the front desk of Carroll & Lang, answering calls and transferring them to the appropriate people when the door swung open and a redhead in a blue oxford with a roll plans under his arm walked in. That's it. It happened a thousand times while I worked at Carroll & Lange, but that's the one that mattered. Now, eleven years later, I don't think I could have made a better choice than asking him to go to a hockey game with me. He's really "the one." I always joke that no other man would have stayed married to me or avoided the dread "cast iron skillet" like Jody. I joke, but at the same time, I really mean it. I'm pretty rough around the edges and Jody really takes that edge off. I remember every guy I ever kinda liked and think about how bad I set them off with my razor tounge... I even slapped one of em... eeek. For sure, Jody's the only one who has ever taken the fight out of me. Completely. No matter how mad I get about silly little things (because I'm a firecracker)I just can't quite be mean to him. If we've ever had a rocky time, it was because one of us didn't do enough to show love or appreciation, but I'm happy to say that in eleven years knowing Jody, I don't have those piercing memories of striking out at him like I do with every other person I've known for any length of time. As a matter of fact, he's quite possibly the only person that really gets me. When I talk about something, he's so much a part of me that he instantly articulates my feelings to me which tells me he really feels what I feel. It's like magic to me. He's my perfect match and I never live a day in doubt of it or wishing for a different life. The only thing we get crosswise on is adoption... I really want a black baby and he just won't cooperate. Maybe that's the thing that will make our adoption story so great someday. LOL!
Yep, last night marked eight great years since our wedding on the bluff. I made him his favorite homemade pizza and laid on the couch with my feet in his lap getting an exquisite foot massage while he watched a hockey playoff game. Well, except when the game got intense... then there were long pauses in the massage but thats what made it a Jody massage. :-)
So, to my friends in search of the perfect match, that's what it looks like. I guess it's not Hugh Jackman jumping on a horse and hunting down my purse snatcher after all. And as for hopeless romantic...Jody beats the movies to pieces... I just have to get these kids shipped off to college so we can resume our hollywood romance of tealight candles, chocolate covered strawberries, bubble bath and champagne. Well... maybe we'll start with getting our own bedroom soon. :-)

No comments: