Friday, October 19, 2007

I got lost...

No, I didn't. I have no excuse. To the hecklers who have complained about my lack of new material, where is your blog? That's all I want to know.
Jody quit that crummy second job and we tightened our belts another notch. I'd like to say that's literally true. No, I still have an extra seven pounds to show for my latest pregnancy. I actually don't wear belts and don't intend to until I do lose that seven pounds.
This week we cranked up the hair self expiramentation a notch and I went to a cosmetology school for my haircut. Pippin cut my hair and I am SO happy. I'll be honest, it's a soccer mom haircut but oh well. I can wash it, shake it and GO, without it looking like a crows nest. Now all I have to do is go back and have her fix this dang color. The girls got their hair cut too and for Kait it was a first. It was so adorable. They behaved fantastically and Grammy met us there and held Nick the whole time. The grand total for our memorable outing = $13.50.
This weeks theme in school is the solar system. Eden is not into things like Star Wars so we started from scratch. She had a hard time believing me that the sun is bigger than the earth and the moon is smaller but once I convinced her, she was sold. We read books, talked about stars, made stars with the triangular metal insets, discussed the names and sizes of the planets and there's just so much to cover. She's lapping it up. The curriculum dictates that we spend two weeks on it. I thought it was a bit much at first but we're approximately half way there. We purchased a solar system mobile and painted 9 planets today and will assemble the mobile next week. We will also be visiting the planetarium at a local highschool.
Eden stands at the white board writing words all of the time. I, of course dictate the spelling because she doesn't read or spell yet, but I find it interesting how tirelessly she applies herself to this. I never encourage her, and if anything am slightly discouraging because I get distracted by the other kids and lose where we are in a word. What I'm seeing is that she is catching on to the spelling of words. I've heard of kids learning to spell before reading and I guess that maybe she will do that. Not by my plan, but by apparently her learning style. It's interesting. We have a moveable alphabet and she's fascinated by it. She doesn't try to spell things yet, but when I spell things with, it she's very attentive and I can see the wheels turning in her mind.
Today was a major accomplishment in the life of a mother of three. I took ALL of them to Walmart. Call me a saint, call me crazy. I did it. It went FINE. Every time I fear something, it turns out fine. When I think something will be no big deal, he world falls apart. I don't understand how I can always be wrong.
Monday at Spanish Class. When one mom is peppy, we're all peppy. Other times, it's like a monster comes and steals everyones sleep on the same night. We stood in the kitchen cutting out the spanish words for different colors and shapes in a complete fog, without any communication. I kept staring at a word wondering what it could be and finally asked Knelly. She was a Spanish minor in college... she made the words. I figured she'd be the one to ask. Her foggy gaze travelled back and forth across the word and finally she said "oh, it's orange. I just left the "N" off of the beginning." Well, that helped. Then I looked over and Knelly was cutting out heart shapes. I pointed to the container that had foam hearts and asked why she needed them and she gave an answer but I wasn't getting it somehow. Finally Tiffany looked up and said "oh Knelly, I needed the spanish word for "heart" not cutouts." In the background we could all hear babies crying, children chanting spanish songs that I don't understand and the teacher practically shouting her instructions to the children. It was a rough go, but we all muddled our way through. Eden counted to six in spanish without any prompting today.
I feel that this has been a horribly boring blog but at least I did it. I have recorded a week in the life of Elizabeth. For what it's worth.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you!!