Wednesday, October 3, 2007

It's all for you Jod!

I really didn't feel like posting tonight but since I know that you come home and go straight to the computer to find out what you missed... I'm pluggin away.
You missed a doozey. You stopped by at 5 right after Kait made her shirt into a doiley and things spiraled downward until I opened my wine. I'm not kidding people. There's this weird kind of conspiracy amongst the evil fairies. Every time the girls go to Grandma's I miss them SO bad and can't wait to see them and shower them with my love. As it turns out, the first night home is ALWAYS the worst. I don't know why.
Eden went right to work on some projects when she got home. That was great. She stapled and stamped to her hearts content. Kaitlyn got the kid safe scissors. Her original intent was to cut the tags off of Nick's new socks. I didn't keep a close eye. Okay, I'll admit it. I went to the computer to rearrange some stuff in our bank accounts knowing full well that Kait had scissors. I'm a terrible mom. There, I got it off my chest. On the baby monitor I heard Eden groan and say "Ohhhh Kaitlyn... Mom is going to be so mad." This was not a good sign. I charged up the stairs like an angry elephant and there was Kait sticking her finger through a hole in the middle of her shirt. My favorite. From Children's Place with a big rose embroidered on the front. I won't elaborate on my response but it was not nice. Kaitlyn told me she was sorry later and I asked her what she cut the hole for. I will paraphrase her reply "I wanted to cut the hole and put paper in it." Here's a better question, why in the world did I ask a two year old "why?"
After that my mood was rather black. It just happens. I worked my way out of it with a brisk walk around the neighborhood. We got home and had some icecream. Eden crumbled a cupcake (right in front of me) into a million little pieces all over her, all over Nick, all over the counter, all over the floor... I asked her why she didn't use the spoon I gave her... Here's a little tip, there is no freaking point in asking your children why. Any answer they give you will only make you more frustrated. I tried to implement some Montessori stuff. We had a cleanup with all of our equipment. It was so hard to stay close to calm. I guess I was just tired or something because now I don't know why it was so frustrating. About the time we finished up, Kait had a little pee pee accident. I got her half cleaned up and asked her to go downstairs and put on her night time stuff. She broke down and wanted me to go help her. I exploded. I really wish I were a good mom all of the time but I'm just not and I don't know what to say about that. I told her to sit on the couch and wait for me to finish the kitchen cleanup. Finally I took her downstairs and put her jommies on her. She went in the office and got my camera to take pictures. I told her to go get her new camera. It was still in the car and I was nursing Nick (groan). Eden volunteered to get the camera. Kaitlyn followed her. Two minutes later I hear Kaitlyn in the foyer saying "OH NO!" Can I catch a freaking break? I ran up the stairs and there she stood with the container of flour paste I made for the pinata at Spanish class open and all over her, all over the floor... yada yada yada. I wilted. This was after I had poured the wine and taken a cursory sip. Anyway, I peeled her clothes off, tossed them in the laundry, cleaned up the floor got her into new jommies and sank into the recliner. She looked at my wine and said "I want juice." Alright. I went upstairs and got the juice. I got Nick to sleep!!!!! I went downstairs to watch the children play and drink my wine and the dog threw up. At this point I was numb, just going through the motions. The girls and I spent at least ten minutes looking for the carpet cleaner. I still hadn't had more than a taste of my wine. Never found it but they did just happen to wake Nick up in the process. I decided that tepid wine might be better anyway and just having the promise of it was keeping me moving forward. The girls piled stuff in the floor and made a tent. Eden looked up at me with glowing eyes and said "can we sleep in this?" I was such complete pudding that I merely nodded and said "of course, would you like to sleep in that or your real tent?" They voted for the real tent. And there they sleep as I write this finally sipping my wine, halfway wishing it were chammomile tea. I cannot convey how satisfying it was to put them to bed happy, thinking I'm a great mom even though I sometimes wonder myself.

No comments: