Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Bittersweet

If I had to summarize my day in a word, that would be it. It was fun, basically uneventful... there was that rather crushing disappointment about the kids table and chairs in the school room but other than that, my day was very good.

We arose at 8AM. I know we're sluggards. We don't like to get up early and we don't have to. Well, nobody except Jody, poor dear.

I made a sumptious breakfast of cream biscuits, eggs and sausage. Eden was crestfallen that I made trianular biscuits instead of circular ones. I promised next time they will be circular. Jody came home and shared it with us. We cleaned up. Nick went down for a nap. We had school. It went so famously I wish it could have lasted two hours longer. Jody came home for lunch. Jody's mom came over to pick up the girls. They trotted off to Chatfield. I had an email wrestling match with a swindler and lost. I really am heartsick about it. Now I'm stuck with a table that I can't afford chairs for. My heart screams for justice! Anyway, I'm going to make myself just sit on it for a few days and then decide what to do. Nick and I spent the majority of the afternoon rolling around on his new quilt that arrived today. It's lovely in the picture but in real life it's spectacular. He is such a lucky little man. He giggled, cooed, tried to inch worm, chewed on it, tried to get the firetrucks and just basically entertained me to no end. Then he cudddled up and nursed on it, uninterruped by blood curdling screams, poo poo disasters, pee pee accidents, water catastrophes, milk spills, mud, hungry sisters, broken toys, doll fights, people stuck halfway into shirts twisted sideways, paint free for alls, escapees that ran out the front door, craigslist customers, telephone calls, the computer, the tv, mommy needing a drink of water, mommy needing to pee or anything. Nothing interrupted the little dear and he nursed until he was replete with little drips of milk on his happy chin. Then we took a bath together with apricot oil and laughed and dipped and cooed. I have to tell you, nothing prepares you for how special such moments are with the third child. They are truely rare and to be treasured. I'm honestly half broken hearted that the little booger is trying to scoot around the house. I barely got to hold my baby and now he wants to go racing around the rooms (I exaggerate). Bittersweet joy taints every step he takes towards growing up. He's the last one and it really hurts. Would it hurt this bad no matter how many babies we had? I really can't be sure. It's a hard door to shut.

Eden and Kait are so cute together. Eden's way with Kait is to offer leading questions that Kait will answer predictably. "Do you want this really pretty pink shirt or just the blue one?" If Kait answers as predicted things go smoothly. If Kait says "the blue one" then Eden says "Are you sure? The pink one is much prettier and it goes with your skirt." If Kait is feeling stubborn and still wants the blue one, Eden offers the last ditch effort. "Okay here's the deal, today you wear the blue one, but tomorrow you wear whatever I want. Deal?" Kait falls for it every time and agrees. I have no idea why, but it is just hysterical. The delights of having a baby monitor in their room.

Today Eden worked on metal insets and sandpaper letters. It was so neat to see how long she can focus on a project. She will work and work without anyone to motivate her. If she sees me do something she thinks is neat, she'll just go to town. I don't have to say a word.
Kait worked on the sandpaper letters and the cylinder blocks. She's very good at reasoning from all of the puzzles she's addicted to and the cylinder block is just an extension of that. She actually did two at one time. That's twenty pieces. I was very impressed.

No comments: