Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Back from Tibet

What am I supposed to do? Use those plain old titles like "Kaitlyn's Birthday"? Nah. Anyway, I'm a terrible blogger. I don't know if anyone even reads this anymore but it's nice to have it all here just for myself. I've always wished I could start journaling and this is a very nice substitute.
Kaitlyn turned three on Friday. Her grandparents Maureen and Jerry and her Uncle Jeff came for the weekend and we had a great visit. Her chirpy little voice and her swinging blonde hair make her the belle of the ball without even trying. She spent most of her time parenting people. It was typical. She took care of Grammy with amazing selflessness and even declared it was actually Grammys (her daughters) birthday and pretended to give her presents. I love watching Kait with her extended family. When she was a baby nobody was quite convinced she would ever want anyone but either me or Jody and now she just oozes love to the world. She spins these imaginary settings for us, dictating what we must say and do and we can't help but comply just to see her dimpled smile. She refuses to wear matching clothes and since she's not my first child I can see the beauty of her wardrobe choices. She turns on the tears and I find myself agreeing to almost anything, not because I don't want her to cry but because she does this little trembly thing with her voice and chin that nobody with a heart can deny.
We had a backyard party with the trampoline and a playhouse that Jody and Jeff spent at least 8 hours assembling. Their friends Berkeley and Canyon came to the party and played away the day with them. They are great friends and we had a great party but I couldn't help but miss the friends we've celebrated birthdays with in Minnesota, knowing we probably won't ever again. I wasted some time wishing I could create my own magical little neighborhood, composed of our greatest friends and family. Tis not to be, we shall have to make our lives happy and be content with what we have. Perhaps there's more suprises around the corner that we can't even imagine. ;-)
When the family left the last night, Eden was exhausted and emotional. You can wish all you want, but those moments when you see a little piece break off of your childs and their grandparents hearts because of choices you had to make will follow you like a dark cloud. I try not to dwell on how much my choices affect other people because I can't do anything about it but it doesn't erase the knowledge and helplessness that creeps up in moments like those. We took advantage of that night to say a special prayer thanking God for the amazing grandparents our children have all around. We're blessed so much and fail to tell those wonderful people how much they mean to us all too much. God knows how much they add to our lives.
Yesterday was the re-coup day. We went to a big park called Golden Ponds or something like that. It's a series of ponds/lakes with walking trails all around. We spent over an hour, I pushed the double stroller and Eden rode her bike. It was magical and wonderful but in my usual horrid way I ended it badly yelling at Eden for riding her bike way too far away from me and griping like an old hag. What was supposed to be a wonderful morning ended on a sour note and it was all my fault as usual. I'm sure if I had an assistant handy to smack me really hard when I start those tantrums I'd be cured fairly quickly, as it is I keep making the same parenting mistakes and beating myself up for it afterwards.
I'll be posting pictures of Kaitlyn within a couple of days. Today Nick has a virus and has had a fever and vomiting for about 12 hours so far. I'm hopeful that at least the fever is over because he's been napping for over an hour without a peep.
We're still praying for someone to buy our house in Kasson.

No comments: