Tuesday, May 4, 2010

And then she was 5

Every birthday my kids have, I have to reminisce about the day they were born. I remind Kait that she flew out of me like a flash. I tell her that she screamed like a mad woman as soon as they placed her in my arms and she hasn't turned off the vocal chords since (which I don't say).I picture her first bath, her smiles within the first week of her life. Her dimpled smile on the swingset in Kasson. Marveling as she scooted across the floor like an inchworm at Christmas time. Laughing as she stood by the leapfrog table covered in chocolate as Eden's words of "Mom she likes chocolate!" finally sank in. I don't remember her first steps but it doesn't really bother me because I do remember so many things. My 18 month old held her sole diet of blueberries in her hand and said "look, I got seven!" Coincidentally, she did! Watching her learn to ride a trike Grandpa brought her on her second birthday. Taking away her binky shortly after her second birthday explaining that we needed it for the baby. She stuck it in my belly button and asked the baby if it liked it. Then, her face as she welcomed her baby brother into the world in her old bedroom. After we moved to Longmont I remember her loving the trampoline I picked up but only if everyone jumped the way she told them to. I've loved teaching her to read, to count, geography... everything. She's my sponge. Spouting out all of the things I don't want repeated! The stories she can weave, the dreams she can concoct. If one person had to bear the load of things in Kait's brain bursting to come out, it would be mind bending. She spends hours every week on the phone and skype. Even my whole family can't bear the words. People asked me what to give Kait for her birthday this year and I was dumbfounded. What do you give to someone who just talks nonstop all day every day? Today she asked me to identify whether things were man made or nature all the way across town. She's ceaseless and none of it seems to be connected or remotely predictable. Well, I love you little girl and I hope you love these little reminscing blogs when you're older and wonder what we saw.

No comments: