Friday, September 21, 2007

Arranged marraige anybody?

Today I had the pleasure of spending an hour with a lovely couple from India. Apparently arranged marriages are still very common over there and they in fact only met one time for ten minutes before they were married. They spent innumerable hours on the phone between India and the United States during their engagement but that was it! I found the whole story fascinating and when the husband helped me out to my car I couldn't help but ask if he had started falling in love before the marriage. He just chuckled and told me that things are very different over there trying to evade me. I poked and prodded a little further until he actually told me he picked her out of six different options. It just blew me away. I think they're just a lovely couple but they should never have told me they are an arranged marriage. I'll have the exciting experience of working with them pretty closely over the next few weeks and I just know I'll be psychoanalyzing them constantly.
The gathering for scones was wonderful, other than that the day was uneventful.

No comments: