Sunday, September 30, 2007

Nothing ventured, nothing gained

This post has nothing to do with the title. It popped into my head and had to be the title.
My weekend has been fraught with arguments with Eden about whether you can "have school" on the weekend. I strongly maintain that no you cannot! Eden even tried the tears on me on Sat. afternoon. I'm impervious. What sane person wouldn't be? It's like opening pandoras box. Once I say yes, I'll be "having school" 24X7.
A few key random funny moments this weekend.
Kaitlyn announced that she is the mommy and I am the sister. We carried this charade throughout most of the weekend. This morning however, she broke out of character to make up an enormous story for the whole family at the breakfast table. We were surrounded with our traditional fare of "dad's homemade pancakes" tea, oj and some kind of breakfast meat. He was super sweet and even put pecans in my pancakes this morn. Anyway, Kait started a story about going to the fair. We randomly fed new words in and she would assimilate them into the story with ease. At one point I casually asked about the horse and she instantly told us all about how the horse getting out of the gate and running away. I asked about the bird and she told me it was the bird who opened the gate and our whole family was riding the horse. I was taken aback and asked if surely there had been two horses and she assured me that no there were not! The solitary horse however, was as big as a camel. So... I guess we all fit just fine. She was in the front with Daddy and Mommy had to ride on the back with Eden. I'm relieved to announce that she didn't just come out and say that Mommy rode bitch... but the implication was there. The story rambled on with so many hilarious details I can't even recount them all. I do remember that she hugged a wonderful little pig and fed a pony though.
I finally mopped the kitchen without interruption. I arranged all of the kitchen chairs and barstools in a circle in the living room and covered them with a sheet. The children didn't have the slightest interest in running into the kitchen and sliding smack on their backs for the first time ever. On the downside, I caught them dragging my purse into their tent with obviously detrimental intentions. You can't have it all I suppose.
We ran out of paper towels in the kitchen today. Big event. I know. Well, I ran downstairs to grab another roll and the computer caught my eye. I decided to make a quick detour. I skirted the exersaucer, jumped over the activity gym, skidded across a puzzle piece and landed in the desk chair. I checked my email, surfed craigslist, checked my ebay auction and then sat there stupefied as to how I had gotten here and why I was downstairs. Suddenly a miracle happened and I actually remembered the paper towels. I re-crossed the sketchy terrain and retrieved the paper towels and took them to the kitchen. This story was just so everyone out there would know, "you can do it." You can be completely distracted and still remember something... if you're really lucky.
We had a fantastic weekend and I hope all of you did too. With Jody working a ton of hours these last few weeks, our time is so precious and we appreciate what we have so much more. It feels like we really try to "live" on the weekends and soak each other up.
Toodles.

No comments: