Wednesday, September 26, 2007

sleep

Sleep is really a treasure. I can't think of anything that really makes me more completely happy and content. All of the other things in life that make a person happy are conditional upon sleep so they obviously take second place. I can envision my angel babies smiling faces as they scoot up to my kitchen counter and start their orders each morning. When I've had sleep it's amusing, entertaining and I try to press the event into my memory permanantly, so I'll never forget. If I didn't sleep and I have a headache, everything they say is a personal insult. Every sound they make has to be a purposeful attack on my headache. Every question they ask is interpreted in an antagonistic fashion. Even as I'm being a completely reactionary sleep deprived witch, I'm psychoanalyzing myself and condemning my own behavior.
Two nights ago, I didn't sleep. Jody didn't sleep. Eden didn't sleep. Kaitlyn didn't sleep. Yep, you guessed it, Nick didn't sleep either. It was HORRIBLE. Tuesday I got up and REALLY wanted to do school. I wanted to have a positive day. I had prepared some really fun stuff before I knew that nobody would sleep. I launched myself into the kitchen and tried to enthusiasticly throw myself into the baking of the German Apple Pancake of the day. We went from that to talking about skeletal systems and brains. Apparently Eden watched some weird show at the neighbors house with poor little children who have brains on the outside of their heads. I have no idea what she saw. It was very distracting to the lesson. Every step we take in this journey gives me more appreciation for how teachers really do ever get anything taught. One thing I feel like we're making GREAT progress with, is raising a hand to speak without interrupting. Eden almost always hold her finger up instead of interrupting. The bad thing is when she does it in the car and we don't see the cute little finger.
At 10:30 Nick went down for his nap and I wordlessly fell into my bed without the slightest thought for what the kids might be up to. I tried to listen and heard some relatively safe words like "picnic" and blanket. At 10:47 I woke to a puddle of drool and Eden kissing my forehead over and over. I looked up and she told me to have a good nap and left. Now, I ask you what do you do with that? Do you allow your sleep greed to spoil the sweet gesture? I personally didn't get a chance to reflect. My little corgi started rythmically barking in the back yard, moving closer and closer to Nick's window. I jumped out of the bed. ran down the stairs, out the back of the garage and asked the little weasel if she really just wanted me to KILL her? In telling Jody about it later I discovered that he actually has very similar one sided conversations with the dog. He made a rather sheepish confession of it. His usual phrase is "it would be so easy."

No comments: