Sunday, July 13, 2014

Love wins one way or another

I am writing this blog as an ideal to my children. I am not putting myself on a pedestal and that is why I will spend 60 seconds to quickly list off all of the sins I noticed I committed today. I lost my temper. I yelled at my kids. I even gave dirty looks. I was sensitive about something someone said and had to talk myself through the grace process. I was tired and lazy at one point. I was wasteful and spent time on Facebook. I was inconsistent and didn't always take Hazel to the potty. I was anxious. I was fearful. I was prideful. I was self pitying. Ok enough. I'm going to get a complex. You get the picture. I'm freaking awesome!

I wish I were capable of connecting the dots between serving God and loving Him for people because it's the most important yet overlooked part of faith.  It seems like every day of my life I can draw on examples of my parents character, unconditional love and perseverance. I wonder how many nights my mom propped herself up in bed reading her NASB to Dad with her Strongs concordance and other study materials piled around her as well as Dad's controversial materials like Dakes and the book of Yasher. They fed their spiritual hunger and their love for Jesus grew which of course caused their faith to grow and of course their character grew. 
I recently read an article that 70% of smokers were children of smokers. And during their childhood they had asked their parents to stop smoking without success. I cannot say enough times how thankful I am for a very different yet far more potent heritage.
I recently unintentionally offended a friend. I made several attempts to ask forgiveness and gain an understanding of what I had done but only after a mutual friend intervened did I find out what my latest careless speech had wrought. I felt upset that I had been so misunderstood. Isn't that typical? I'm offended that I carelessly let unbridled and unkind words fall from my tongue and it offended someone. I rationalized that my character had been misjudged and there was no point in defending myself. But ironically I had promised to pray about it. On top of that, I had already resolved to forgive myself of anything each day except one thing... Not reading from the gospels. And so there I was praying about this botched friendship and reading the book of John. Sigh. Two times this week Jesus has told me to love my neighbors or love people. And that very thing is what has been called into question. It confounds me that I need to make resolution but yet all of the stars are aligning. Yes Bart, in answer to your fascinating question the other day, I would definitely say my life has a very common theme. Elizabeths big fat mouth... over and over until I seriously wonder why God gave me one. 
Dear God why is it still there?!?
So before I humbly seek a resolution with the person I offended which is something I have down to a science complete with calloused knees, (well actually they are more bruised from falling down at church while holding my two year old last Sunday in ridiculous heels but who cares)
I will make a very long and boring speech to my children who may someday read my blog because simply put after losing Dad... I wish he had written one for me. 
Dear children, 
we are a humble family. We have no leg to stand upon if we ever hope to be good enough people to someday meet Jesus. Our sins committed have been forgiven by the grace of God and that alone. They have been cast as far as the east is from the west. We are sanctified by receiving Jesus and the truth He shared. You will meet many "Christians" in this life who try to take their identity from declaring themselves clean of certain sins, like premarital sex, homosexual relationships, abortions and the list goes on. I promise you that if you avoid those sins you will have less emotional baggage stealing your joy but you will not be free of sin. Your identity as a Christian does not come from sins you avoided by self determination or luck but from accepting the confounding grace God extended to you with each sin you repented of as you pursued knowing Jesus and loving Him like there's no tomorrow. It's like taking off piece after piece of useless heavy armor to give your failures to Jesus and let him cast them as far as the East is from the West. Your character will be honed, your humility rooted and your peace established. So please remember you are no better than any man, woman or child. You are only forgiven by grace. But keep it in balance and remember everyone is a sinner so nobody is better than you or more capable of doing what God made you to do better than you either. You have no spotless heritage and it doesn't matter anyway. Your spiritual life is not measured by your sinful nature. It's measured by whether you personally believe Jesus is the Son of God love Him with all your heart mind and soul, engage in daily repentance and throw yourself into unabashed love for all people. You will know by your own behavior whether or not you have done those things each day. For it is a moment by moment choice, not a decision once made in a lifetime.
Romans 8:6So letting your sinful nature control your mind leads to death. But letting the Spirit control your mind leads to life and peace.
Your duty to other Christians is to exhort them in their journey knowing Jesus in every way you can. Do not worry about their sins unless you have prayed ceaselessly and feel that the Holy Spirit is drawing you to share truth. Don't use your own words though, use scripture. Let it speak to them. Keep your own words within the Philippians 4:8 perimeter.








Finally brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.
Your duty to people who do not share your faith is to love them and pray for their souls. Be obedient to God and tell them about Jesus if the Holy Spirit ever nudges you and alerts you to an open heart. There is no need to judge them by any standards in the Bible or compare your sins to theirs or give them any reason to doubt that you love them just exactly as they are. News flash, Jesus loves you just the way you are too. We are all broken sinners, just some of us have accepted that fact and love Jesus and some haven't. 
And just my opinion here, don't argue with people about what is a sin and what isn't. If their hearts are hard, you are just making them harder with arguments. Their soul is in the balance, remember that every moment. If they are feeling convicted and you are too harsh, you might make them feel condemned which can be easily circumvented by accepting Jesus grace. Be gentle!!!

It is possible that you could follow those instructions and still be hated and labeled as a hater. Jesus warned us that will happen. Still persevere and never waver from truth. Love wins one way or another.

John 13:34
So now I am giving you a new commandment: Love each other. Just as I have loved you, so you should love each other. Your love for one another will prove to the world that you are my disciples. 

John 8:32 

And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”

John 17:17

Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth.

No comments: