Saturday, July 4, 2015

Freedom

Independence day this year is hard for me. I watched the fireworks last night and wondered if it will have completely devolved into a show within my lifetime. Yes, I'm a toxic mix of Eyore and melodrama all wrapped into the human form. It occurs to me often that people don't want to hear what I think or how I feel about hot issues but then I realize that being silent is what causes a lack of dialogue and a lack of respect for people who are different. Just as there are people on Facebook without a single southern friend and are never presented with the cultural significance of the rebel battle flag, there are also people without a single Facebook friend who disagrees out loud with the process used to legalize gay marriage last week which was unconstitutional. I was raised by a couple of patriots. Understanding the value of freedom of religion was breathed into me like oxygen. My dad carried a copy of the constitution around in his shirt pocket. I can't say that I know the constitution, I just trust it. I understand the position of people fighting for this legalization and I respect the fact that people have not been treated fairly. Of course, I believe this stems from the government ever dipping their greedy fingers into marriage by creating licenses to prevent black people from marrying white people. I simply do not agree with the notion that government should mess with marriage. They could create legal agreements associated with marriage and legislate that all day. While many people in our culture today feel that gay rights are more important than religious freedom I can't agree. The worst part is, I don't think choosing was necessary. Patience and a careful re-navigation of separating marriage from government was the only peaceful respectful path America could have taken. Perhaps unintended consequences were considered, but it really doesn't seem like it. I'm being asked to choose and so I do. I choose Christ. It's rather ironic actually. We have this history of King Henry the VIII who manipulated everything to make marriage work the way he wanted it to and to circumvent the rules of the Church all because he wanted his interpretation of marriage to supersede the church (sound familiar?). Some tough as nails Christians wanted to have freedom from his corruption of an institution created by God so they fled to America. They wanted the right for the church to be free of control of the government. As an aside, I freely admit that Jesus never said this would work. He never said we would be able to create a freedom of religion successfully. He actually warned us of the opposite. And as I sit feeling slightly fearful of the future of my religion in this country, I also criticize myself and ask why I expect a perfect situation to express my religion while Christians are beheaded and imprisoned in other countries right now. Of course I could say the same of gay people who fight for the right to marry while gay people the world over are being killed for their sexuality.  Regardless, that is how I feel. This is where I simply must stand. Yes, the freedom to worship Jesus and submit to the authority of the Bible is quite simply the most important freedom to me. I know I'm not alone. I also know that I really have nothing to fear. Even if someday churches are shut down for not officiating gay marriages or Christians are fined or imprisoned for not compromising their faith. What happens to us on this earth is not eternal. Happiness is fleeting as Solomon said. So, I'll try to keep my eyes on Him and honor Him the very best I can, knowing I was made for more.

http://www.history.com/topics/mayflower

No comments: