Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The end of summer

Yesterday was our last day of summer. Jody worked a ton of hours last week so he could have the day with us. It frustrates me to no end how overworked he is and how there is just nothing to be done, but I know I need to resign myself to the fact that it is not in my power to change that. Anyway, we went to Boondocks and we all had such a great time. There was a tranquility in the constant laughter and completely relaxed time. We had no schedule, no time frame, just family time. After countless go cart rides, bumper boat rides, laser tag and mini golf, we used up the last bit of time at the arcade. Eden had begged Jody to play WII with her, so we came home and he checked that off. Kait had begged for a bike ride to the park, so we checked that off and by then it was time for baths and bed. The end of summer came and that was it. I wish life could be an endless summer with Jody around to do all of that with us every day. It's taken me many years to realize it, but doing those kinds of things are so much better as a family than trying to go with friends and keep track of a gaggle of children.
At 11PM Nick got growing pains. It took awhile but we got that worked out. This morning at 5 the alarm went off. No, I do not have any idea why Jody either gets up that early or tries to every single day. I couldn't go back to sleep after that. It was nearly 6 when I gave up and got up. I made lunches, scones, sausage, tea and roused the girls. While I was making the lunches I realized that Kait won't be having lunch with me anymore. The water works started and haven't stopped since. Maybe it's because I'm pregnant, maybe it's because you really don't know how to appreciate that short time you have with each of your kids before school steals them away. I think of how I took it all for granted with Eden and then felt torn in half when she took off to first grade. I sat in a little puddle, wondering why I couldn't just breathe in and out and savor the experience of being with them. Now my little buddy sits beside me with his spider man tattoo watching me type. He's impressed with all of my letters. He isn't sure we should take a walk without Daddy and Eden and Kait. He says he isn't interested in doing any school with me but he'd consider playing trains. He isn't ready for his scone at the moment, but I imagine if I get him off for a walk he'll want to go home and eat his scone. I know how short this time is, it might be his last year keeping me company all day. And yet the years stretch before and behind me in a blur of happiness, sacrifice, stress and immeasurable joy. While my time is short, it seems I've never been without a little mouth to feed, a little sticky hand to wash, a carseat to buckle or a situation to negotiate, and really it seems I never will, even as my lovely little girls head off to school with their marching orders in hand.

No comments: