Monday, May 2, 2011

Another year slides by...

On May 2nd, 2005 I woke up about 7:30AM wondering if I would be pregnant forever or just go into labor someday. At 10:35AM, I was holding a screaming baby girl in my arms who had been named before Christmas, Kaitlyn Belle Allen. It was like I'd always known her. She flew out of me like greased lightning and I had to tell someone to grab her before she banged her head on the floor of the birth tub. It was probably the most defining day of my life as a woman, so I could really go on and on, but today I celebrate six years of knowing and loving Kait, not the anniversary of the day I realized I was superwoman. Just kidding, really.
So, what started out as a blood curdling scream the day she was born has now grown into nonstop chatter...and she has a quip and a sassy remark for everything that comes up. She'll negotiate anything, from changing into her play clothes, to getting candy before dinner. Even after my final answer... I swear I have no idea who she takes after. No, honestly? Every time she pops off, I feel like I'm looking in a mirror at myself 25 years ago and I feel laughter bubbling inside me. I guess there's more to Kait than just that smart mouth though. She's spunky, riding her bike fearlessly and stubborn, holding her position just a little longer than I can stand sometimes, sensitive when she thinks someone is laughing at her and fragile, bursting into tears when someone forgets to pray with her before bed; she's beautiful, taking strangers breath away and thoughtful, making a special breakfast for Jody and me on our anniversary; practical, explaining her reasoning of things to no end and even autocratic at times, demanding that Eden and Nick play exactly what she wants in the way she wants with the characters she wants, and with the lines she wants them to say. But mostly, Kait is loving. She is so kind to her siblings and so helpful to me. I always feel a spirit of love in her. Ginny calls her a "Who" because she has a little "Who" face but underneath I don't think she's quite so gullible and maleable as little "Cindy Lu Who". Her foundation is solid,her faith is unshakable and I foresee a girl who will plow her way through life, with not just a conscience, but a determination to see that truth is upheld. Yes, I'm proud of my little Kaity Kat, but who wouldn't be?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to your sweet, precious Kaity Kat!! I have had the pleasure of knowing her in the classroom and she is wonderful! You, Jody, Eden, Nick and baby to be are blessed to have her in your family! Love, Mrs. Millane :o)