Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Happy Birthday to Muth

 I smirk as I begin to write because I remember switching from Mom to Muth at some point as a kid and driving her crazy and then seeing her hallmark loose shrug with waving arms as she surrendered to her new name. It seems like we never tired of thinking of ways to drive mom crazy. I guess it's because she was so all powerful that when we got under her skin  we had to go too far. From camp nowhere shorts to dubious dinner rolls, we chortled in glee if we made a joke she couldn't stand. 
She's got all of the traditional "mom" accolades of baking brownies for my friends and biscuits or muffins on the weekends that were to die for. Her own uniquely named recipes that must have Dad's mark on them like polar bear stew. 
She's gorgeous and captivating as evidenced by how she kept my dad wrapped in her web from the time she was 17 until he held on for his last breath to be with her.
She's the kind of mom everyone wants.  Devoted, biased by love, hard working, overcoming, truth seeking, encouraging, admiring and the list goes on. I know that most people can go back to their mothers love when things get hard but I always had more than that, her love was seasoned in truth and it was always my anchor. No matter what I was going through she could hear me out agree it sucked then speak simple truth into me and carry me on. I still have fragments of promises and blessings that float into my head when things get the hardest. I can thank her for speaking them over her kids with authority and faith. Because advice is cheap but His word is living which she always depended on. 
Every time in my life that she has said she feared becoming like her mother my mind went blank. I mean being like my mother would be impossible to attain. I literally cannot relate to someone who dreads being like their mother. She has lived five or six lives in 59 years and is here to tell about it.  I don't think I will ever achieve as much for the simple fact that I have never had to overcome as much. 
Anyway, happy birthday Muth! I love you so much and I hope that your birthday is filled with small treasures straight from heaven so you will know how loved you are and how celebrated your life and your faith are by your loving Heavenly Father.

No comments: