Thursday, January 28, 2016

Dear Children

Dear Nick, 
I could watch you valiantly fight gravity to swim twenty strokes all day. When I think of the shivering blue crying toddler who hated swimming and I watch you now, I feel amazed at your determination and grace and strength. 
Waiting until third grade to become a snaggle tooth didn't diminish my joy in your cute smile or adorable lisp you now display. 
Your fascination with history gives me peace that you will become a pillar of faith and a fierce patriot. Your gentleness gives me a window into watching you tenderly parent your own little shivering boy someday. 
Keep on fighting my boy. The best things in life don't come easy. I have no doubts, only great confidence in your capabilities. 

Dear Eden,
I so want to draw a lovely metaphor of how watching you turn from a child into a little woman is sweet torture for me but I know that you will just roll your eyes. Suffice it to say, you are beautiful on the outside and you are beautiful inside as well. I never hear your laugh without wanting to laugh too. I never tire of your animal obsession though I pretend to so you won't bombard me any worse. I know you will be pursuing a career with them somehow but I hope you keep your eyes open and reach for the u reachable. It seems my most constant prayer for you lately is that the Holy Spirit would show you how to love yourself so you can completely love others. I also want to fight your journey but I'm always reminded to trust you to Jesus and his call on your life. My advice to you is keep your eye on the prize and laugh more. You never arrive, the journey is life. 

Hazel Basil,
How I love you. How I love being your mommy. If ever God made an easy child, he made you. I wonder what God will do with your bottomless love and empathy and then I remember your answer when Eden asked what you want to be when you grow up "a mommy." Oh my child, what a mommy you will be. I think you could mother a whole orphanage and never run out of love. 
Believe in the talents God has given you and keep that "I can do anything even rollerskate" attitude. You're going to be a golden touch to every life you give to.


Kait,
Hey Love, wow just wow. This year the picture of your future has begun to solidify in my mind so strongly that I simply have no idea what I will do if you change directions. It's rare I'm sure to have a fifth grader who researches the average income of a chosen profession in all of its variations and visits websites of potential colleges but there you are. I love you Kait. You over tax and underestimate yourself but I will never know why. Your hard work and passion and zest for school while balancing it by making time for all of your many friends is stunning. Be kind to yourself love. You are so beautiful inside and out and I never want you to lose your spark.

No comments: