Sunday, April 15, 2012

We're good for the money.

We are on a new adventure. We have finally reconciled ourselves to being landlords indefinitely. We've had five rounds of renters in our house in Kasson. Who knows, maybe they will leave this fall and make it six. I'm resigned and accepting but feel sorry for all of Jody's wonderful family who facilitate that very cumbersome responsibility. On the other hand, our landlord decided to raise the rent on us. We've never raised rent on any of our renters but they never stay very long so I guess it shouldn't bother me. I was feeling very sad about it and Jody felt like running his fist into the wall when I randomly told him we should see how much house we can buy with that liability still on our finances. It turns out that we have rented it for so long that we can buy another house. It certainly is about time. I cannot count how many people have told us to fold our cards on that house. I can't even recall all of the things we watched happen that made us press our lips bitterly together, like a friend's relative who did a short sale and bought a new house in less time than we could have imagined and of course far less time than we have been able to. I can't honestly say that we have made the right choices all along or that what happened with that house had to happen. Perhaps a more savvy person would have done some magic math and figured out a better and more cost saving plan. Regardless, we have done what we know to do and have survived without throwing in the towel. The only thing that held us strong to that conviction were the words of my parents who told me no matter how hard it got they never let Culligan go bankrupt when they owned it. Remembering something as a child and having that agonizing and admirable experience held up to me, gave me grit. So, Jody and I would whine and whimper from time to time but we held strong to the fact that someone in this world invested in us when we bought that house. Someone loaned us that money and we owed it to them to repay our debts no matter how much it cost us or how long it took. Yes it was a matter of pride, pride that I wish all adults had. As we faced unemployment, some very expensive cancer and an unexpected but incredibly wonderful and very expensive fourth child, it didn't seem like life was ever going to give us a financial break and maybe it never will but it made us stronger, happier, closer to God and more peaceful. This is a sermon I've probably put on my blog a few times before. Still, after four years of trying, tempting, testing and tempering, we feel good. We feel well rounded and the better for our experiences. The humility that comes from dealing with the consequences of each choice you make, whether good or bad can't be bought and is priceless. Am I proud of my found humility? I suppose so, maybe that negates it and it needs a new name. Whatever I'm transformed to by these experiences, I am thankful and I love it.
So now, it's 2012. In 2008 we started the season of never-ending drama. Please let 2012 be the season of never ending peace. We are finally house hunting. Jody has been told he can have checkups once per year instead of every six months. Hazel is born, paid for and developing wonderfully and adorably. The kids are passing all of their classes in school. We haven't had any bad news this year. I am so thankful!!!
So stay tuned! This is our year. Some day soon you might just be seeing pictures of something I had given up hope of having in my forseeable future, my family in a home that we can call our own in only 30 short years. :) Until then, whoever you are you wonderful investor, we're good for the money. ;)

No comments: