Friday, December 2, 2011

A sunset and a tree

Two nights ago I was driving through the neighborhood right as the sun sank behind the Rockies. In a rare display the entire sky radiated colors in an enveloping glow. I was overcome and told the kids to look at the sky. I twisted in my seat and could see little whisps of pink glowing all the way to the eastern horizon. There were billowing dark clouds high in the sky which I suppose reflected the sun into a breathtaking display. As soon as the car stopped Eden was out and running for the house to take a picture with my high dollar camera. I find it shameful that she has had full camera privileges since Nick was born and I still treat Kait like a two year old. She dashed to the back yard and snapped several pics. I was carrying baby, groceries etc... in and asked her if she got it. Her face was neutral. I did but they aren't great. I didn't think any more of it until this morning. I was rousing my poor tussled blondies in my usual no nonsense fashion; offering the unwanted lecture of falling asleep sooner so it's easier to get up. A completely hypocritical utterance but habitual all the same. Eden sat up in her bed and in a gravely voice she said "Mom, are you going to take a picture of the tree by my window today?" I leaned over and glanced out the window and the tree took my breath away. I wish I were a real photographer but alas, you will have to use your imagination to visualize something far more sensational than what I captured. I will say that what I saw both times left me aghast that anyone on this planet could doubt the sure evidence of a master design. It also gave me great appreciation for Eden's eye and her instant appetite for raw beauty.

I had a hard time picking which of her pictures of the sunset to use, so I chose the first and last. It shows the lapse of time and I have no idea why she thought they were less than great. If you click on them you can see them bigger.






This is the exact view from her window.




It wasn't good enough so I tromped out in the snow in my boots, pj's and bathrobe to take a couple close ups.



This is too amazing to attribute to chance. This is the product of a divine being making beauty for his enjoyment.


Kind of like... this...






Happy December world, Hazel beckons to me.

No comments: