Saturday, March 28, 2009

How do I know?

How do I know that I have been a mother for six and a half years?
1.The other day I casually mentioned to Jody that the dryer didn't seem to be getting the clothes dry... I couldn't imagine what was wrong. The next day he came to me and said "Did you say the dryer had a problem?" "Yes!" I replied. "Well, it might have something to do with the fact that there was about enough lint for 10 loads in the screen."
2. On the day we went onto daylight saving's time, I actually convinced myself that the clocks were all wrong and picked Eden up 1 hour late from school. How cringingly embrarrasing.
3. The other day I was making peanut butter cookies with the girls. I completed the recipe and stood there stirring what looked like pie filling. I stirred it... studied the recipe, stirred it, grabbed the flour and dumped about a half a cup in, stirred it... continued to stare in perplexity trying to imagine my self putting puddles of peanut butter "filling" onto a cookie sheet. Finally I crossed the room to grab my tea out of the microwave and found my bowl of dry ingredients. "What the!!!!!" I dumped them into the batter and made cookies.
How do we as mother's get to this point? It's like we're beyond thinking. We live on autopilot and all reasoning skills are bypassed. I truely feel like, if I lose track of things for five minutes the whole day blows up. I might forget we need to go to gymnastics, I might forget to thaw meat for dinner, I might (heaven forbid) forget to pick Eden up from school. It's this continual grasping for what I'm supposed to do next and a blank feeling that I can't even process the babble of my great kids. How do we get through the day, enjoy it, savor the sweet moments and get everything done? And finally, for the truely daring, how do I get my house organized and remember everyone's birthdays a week early so I can send a card? It sounds so far beyond my limited skills that it makes me tremble.

No comments: