Saturday, June 22, 2019

Stay the course

The very best lessons I’ve ever had in life came at a great price... and yet letting kids experience such things is rather akin to taking a cold bath or licking a lemon. It is so unpleasant and seems so avoidable. I’ve always marveled at people who have parenting strategies. They know the rules and always have their what to do next plan. Not me. Every hit is a shock. Every revelation is groundbreaking.
In the last year we have had friend drama extraordinaire, a court date for vape pens on school property, several successful attempts to sneak out of my house at night, illegal photos on phones, underage drinking in my very own basement, lying about homework which almost led to failing classes, a concussion from a classmate, threats of a voodoo doll from a classmate who took my child’s lock of hair, inappropriate touch from classmates, the worlds creepiest death threat from a first grader and even a ride in a car with a driver under the influence. I wish I could say I’d do better with a do over but I’m certain I wouldn’t. This stuff can only be handled with supernatural protection and wisdom. My new epiphany is that I am not blessed with a natural wisdom. I must fully rely on God for wisdom which I need constantly. I’m choosing to be thankful that God gives me the windows into my kids worlds to pluck them out of danger and set them aright. I’m choosing to thank Him for protecting them through the minefield we call childhood. Do I have bad kids? No. Am I disappointed? No, not really. This is the season in which we face these situations with a learning mindset and thank God for every opportunity of conversation. So while a younger parent might read this and hope to avoid what I’ve faced, I feel only thankful that I was able to enter into the story with my kids and walk by their sides.
If you are in the thick of it, I just want to say... me too. If you think you’ve dodged the bullet, I doubt it friend. 😂

No comments: