Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Part 3 The rainiest day of my trip!

God has a way of just twisting my heart when I am failing. I've been failing to blog my awesome trip. I don't know why I'm struggling to be a blogger nowadays. I think I'm so busy reading books, staring at my lovely Hazel's chubby cheeks and soft toes and giving people dirty looks when they tell me she isn't a baby anymore that I just think I have nothing more inside of me. But then God shows me something beautiful and twists my heart and I panic and run start typing.

This morning Bart sent me a link to an apartment for rent. It had pictures of the view of Jerusalem and tears started running down my face as I looked at something that shouldn't feel familiar and special enough for me to cry over but there I was... wondering if I'd ever see it again. Wondering if I savored it enough. Wondering if my husband or kids would ever see it. But mostly wondering why the hell I was crying over an apartment for rent in Israel.

http://www.jerusalemproperties.co.il/property/rental14.shtml

 On the rainiest day of my trip we went to the museum and the Shouk. The Shouk is a local market, not geared towards tourists. People buy their meat, produce, treats, spices, pottery etc... there. I bought some Halva which is a pretty yummy mediterranean treat. It's a combination of ground sesame seeds, honey and other ingredients. I also bought a juicer but pomegranates are out of season in America right now so it's just kind of collecting dust. It seemed like a good idea at the time... I should have bought saffron but I didn't.

Eden was particularly fascinated by an open market and requested many videos. I should have had Bart being Vanna White with stuff more. That's the best part of these cheesy videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIq-Ww-BRhQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve2gsZPkuok

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2XghQ3DzMs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_c_MX4X8k0

The museum was... full of incredible artifacts and overwhelming. Our legs ran out of energy and our brains went into system overload before we were half done. Coffee was a great solution. The worst part was that I was sick of taking pictures and failed to take pictures of the amazing roman and greek sculptures there. The best part was that I did see the Dead Sea Scrolls which was wonderful but there was this mean little old man in there who would shriek every time I tried to take a picture which really just baked my cookies. If you don't want people to take pictures, post a sign, don't have a crazy little man shrieking at people like a cuckoo in Hebrew. Here's the best pic I sneaked.




The worst part through all of this was the rain. Jenny cut bangs for me right before I left and they were pasted to my forehead the entire time I was there. Sigh. We felt it was worth documenting with a "we are soaked to the bone permanently and our bangs are awful" expression. I texted it to Jenny who always looks perfect and she told us we looked great. Uh, yeah. Ok...


The next day we left for the desert. The entire Bartlett family and me. It was a rather hilarious and wonderful trip. I sat in the back of Barts car with her boys feeling like a small child. I watched them play a terrible pirate game on their ipads and listened to my ipod with my headphones all the while wondering where we were and how far we had to go. It was a bit like being a kid again... I had forgotten how that felt! It's good to get in touch with your inner child sometimes.

There is no way I will document all of that day right now... Soon.


No comments: