Monday, May 11, 2009

Kaitlyn Belle











For four years we've had the pleasure of sharing our life with Kaitlyn Belle, aka Kaity Kat, Peanut and Kay Kay. She is a bundle of energy. Typically telling everyone what to do, how to do it and when and where. She thinks she can do anything and often does everything she can to not have to do anything. LOL. I can't believe she has dimples and that amazing little white streak in the front of her hair. The button nose and high apples on her cheeks don't do the kid bad either. Sometimes I think that God was having such a good time designing Kait that he just kept adding another touch here or there for distinction and beauty. I do regret cutting her hair. I loved that long blonde hair with the curling tendrils on the ends. The bob is cute, but the long amazing shining hair was better.
Today she was playing with Nick and I overheard "Ladies and Boys and Gentlemen!"
Another hilarious but dangerous characteristic is the way she makes outrageous things up and tells them as fact. "Daddy, did you know Chinese people hold their hands like this?" "No, I didn't." "Well, they do, Grandma told me so."
Eden and I might be speculating on a subject that neither of us know the answer to, like rare animal facts. Kait will instantly jump in with something completely outrageous claiming she saw it on Animal Planet or that a highly credible source told her so. I wish I could remember a specific incident but my mind is slightly fuzzy this evening. The remainder of her mandatory million words per day are made up of telling me what she is doing and why every second. "Because" and "otherwise" are her bywords. Her diatribes are elaborate, telling me everything she pretended to say to someone when she was playing babies upstairs. She tells me what she's going to say to people and what she thinks their answers will be. She is stubborn, generous and willful. She pours herself into what she does, whether it's her gymnastics, riding her strider, sneaking up behind Nick and picking him up and squeezing him until he screams like a girl or wearing herself completely out trying to tell Eden and Nick what to do, what to say and where and how to do it. At the end of a day, Kaitlyn never tells me she isn't tired. She has lived her day to the fullest and is ready to rest. It's great. It's really awful that I can't tell people stories about her when she's around because she becomes furious, thinking we're making fun of her. Her vocabulary rocks my world and when I try to tell stories about it, she thinks we think it's funny instead of amazing.
My Kaity Belle is four and it's been a great ride. I remember that day. The one when I thought I might be in labor and the she shot into the world with a velocity that took my breath away. Thank God we had planned a home birth because Kait had already decided to be a home birth herself. She's a tornado with a sensitivity that suprises and an imagination that I've never seen in a child before or since. I'm so glad that God makes children each special and different. It makes parenting so exciting, rewarding and fulfilling. I still agonize that I don't know what to be when I grow up but at least I'll always know that I lived these years, planting flowers with my children, watching their first steps, congratulating each new word, savoring their smell, holding them in my arms each day, sharing kisses, sharing stories, hide and seek, trips to the park, watching them instead of the animals at the zoo, and of course celebrating each birthday and using it as a day to look back on all of the joy they have brought me and all of the facets they've added to the beauty of our family as they mature and metamorphasize into little people.
Happy Birthday to my Peanut!

No comments: